I’ve never been to therapy before. What can I expect from therapy?
People who ask for help know when they need it and have the courage to reach out. Everyone needs help now and then. Sessions are generally 50 minutes but we can negotiate for a longer time if our schedules allow. In couple therapy, our 1st session is an assessment where we gather background information from you and your partner and answer any questions you may have. In the 2nd and 3rd sessions we will meet partners individually to gather family of origin and relationship histories. In the 4th session and all subsequent sessions, we bring couples back together to track your patterns. There may be times when we may have to meet individually again if issues come up that impact the safety and vulnerability in the relationship.
In individual therapy, sessions are usually 50 minutes long but we can negotiate for a shorter/longer times if our schedules allow. In our work together, we will help you explore and identify your strengths and how to implement them to reduce the influence of the problems you are facing. We will talk through your problems and situations and equip you with tools to cope with them more appropriately.
What’s the difference between couple therapy and pre-marital counseling?
- This is the “Why” you’ve sought counseling – this is what brings you in to counseling and what you want help with
- Explores a particular issue the couple wants resolved
- Tackles issues from the root; may involve addressing individual, personal issues to understand behaviors in the relationship
- The goal is to move the couple from frustrations and/or feeling “stuck” into healthy relating and loving again
- There is no specific end date, lenght of therapy is dictated by growth and healing the relationship
- This is the “How” to create and prepare for a healthy marriage
- We provide pre-marital counseling with the PREPARE/ENRICH curriculum which outlines a process of working through a particular structure of counseling
- Identifies strengths, weaknesses, and compatibility of the partners
- Explores partner differences and compromises address issues for a stronger, happier relationship
- The goal is to provide relevant feedback about where couples are performing well and possible future pitfalls
- The is a specific end date with a prescribed number of sessions – 1, 4 , or 8 sessions – in which you are lead through various concepts and ideas
How can therapy help me?
There are many benefits of participating in therapy! Therapists can provide support, problem solving skills and coping strategies for a wide range of issues. Therapists, being objective, can provide a different or a fresh perspective on a problem that you have been struggling with. Our work together is designed to explore and unpack the problems you are experiencing and expand on your strengths that can help you accomplish your personal goals. Benefits of therapy depend on your commitment and level of readiness. Some benefits can include, boosting self confidence or improving self esteem, improving communication skills, learning/finding new coping skills, attaining a better understanding of yourself, changing old patterns and developing new ones, or managing your emotional feeling such as sadness, anger or other highly charged emotions you may be feeling.
How does it work? What do I have to do in sessions?
Because each person has different issues and goals for counseling, it will be different depending on the individual. I tailor my therapeutic approach to your specific needs.
How long will it take?
Unfortunately, this is not possible to say on a general FAQs page. Everyone’s circumstances are unique to them and the length of time counseling can take to allow you to accomplish your goals depends on your desire for personal development, your commitment, and the factors that are driving you to seek counseling in the first place.
I want to get the most out of therapy. What can I do to help?
I am so glad you are dedicated to getting the most out of your sessions. Your active participation and dedication will be crucial to your success.